I’ve extended the flocking code framework to now have the concept of Enemy Squadrons. They have multiple states, and idle in a defense pattern, begin an approach, deliver an attack on a defense target, and even retreat, and return to their idle defense origin. It’s really fun to see game elements start to come together. I also had to work out the friendly defense units, and did some rough animations of some cubes to get the game going.

I’ve been really focused on getting the Art to progress, but now it’s time to define the game mechanics, and decide how it will play. This phase is always interesting to me because it’s about finding the fun. As part of this, I’ve read a lot about other people’s post postmortems and tried to develop more of a story element behind these characters. I think I know a little about the enemy and why they are attacking these units, but I know I need to continue to flesh this out.

I know a little about the game I want to make, but I need to take it out for a nice dinner, and get to know it a little better. I know I’m slow at these parts of the development process, but I’m not worried about the rest. Once the game is well defined, I’m confident I’ll be able to get the pieces to come together to tell the story. It’s getting the story together that I’m trying to work on now.

I’ve been playing around with a space environment, and I think this is pretty close to the look that I want for the environment. I made some more tests with the flocking to test performance in the environment, but I thought I’d post a quick video showing off the environment pieces a little. Although I don’t look around the environment too much in these videos, this is in VR, and it is accurate representation of space. Star Map Emitter, Planets, and a Galaxy skybox. I did distort some of the distances… (Moon is technically too close) But hopefully that can be forgiven for the sake of art.